When it comes to keeping your business data safe, it’s important to keep backups and perform routine server maintenance procedures. Whether you’re responsible for running a large corporation or a small to medium-sized business, server backup is vital to your long-term success.
What Is a Backup Server?
A backup server is a server that is designed to backup and restore databases, hard drives, files and folders to prevent the loss of data in case of a user error, hard drive failure, accident or disaster.
Why Should I Backup My Server?
Just like with any technology, servers can crash for a wide range of reasons. When you backup your server, you can prevent a server failure or user error from irreparably damaging or deleting your secure and important data.
What Are the Ways to Backup a Server?
When it comes to backing up your data, there are a number of ways you can achieve the protection you need:
- Utilize a storage tape or external hard disk drive.
- Store your data backups at an off-site location by utilizing a cloud service.
- Synchronize two different network-attached storage devices that are compatible.
What Are Some Solutions for How to Backup a Server?
With a wide range of server backup software solutions available on the market, it’s easy to find the software that will best meet your individual needs and budget. Examples include:
- Acronis Backup
- Barracuda Yosemite
How Can I Maintain My Server for Optimal Use?
Maintaining your server is not as difficult as it may seem. In fact, by following a few simple steps, you can keep your server maintained in an efficient manner.
- Routinely check for hardware errors.
- Keep your operating system updated.
- Periodically review the security of your server.
- Make sure your backups are working on a routine basis.
- Keep your system free of outdated software in order to limit security issues.
- Keep track of your server’s disk, RAM, CPU and network utilization.
Focus on the Goal
Whether you choose to utilize a cloud service or backup software, the main goal is to keep your data safe so that your business does not risk turning a server error or accident into a complete disaster. Backing up your server is essential to keeping your business running smoothly, especially if you have a larger number of employees or multiple locations.